Filing a Car Accident Claim in Maryland
By Harold Dwin on May 2, 2023 | In Auto Accidents
A traffic collision in Maryland could give you grounds for filing a car accident claim with either the other driver’s insurance provider or your own, providing you with compensation for the injuries and related losses you have suffered.
How to File a Car Accident Claim in Maryland
To file a car accident claim in Maryland, you should take the following steps:
- Report the accident to law enforcement.
- Take photos of the accident scene, damage to your car, and any visible injuries.
- Obtain a copy of the police accident report.
- Keep copies of bills or invoices for medical expenses and other crash-related costs.
- Notify your insurance company of the accident as soon as possible.
- Contact a car accident attorney at Cohen & Dwin, P.A., to help you file a claim.
Understanding Your Insurance Coverage
In Maryland, all drivers must carry liability insurance coverage issued by an insurance company licensed in the state. The coverage must provide the following minimum policy limits:
- $30,000 per person and $60,000 per accident in bodily injury liability coverage
- $15,000 per accident in property damage liability coverage
Our attorneys can review all relevant insurance policies after an accident to determine the full extent of the coverage available to you.
Evidence to Collect for a Car Accident Claim in Maryland
Our lawyers can help you locate and present the following types of evidence for your accident claim:
- Accident scene photos and videos
- Surveillance camera or dashcam videos of the crash
- Eyewitness statements
- Police accident reports
- Arrest or citation records
- Driver cell phone records
- Post-accident car inspection and repair records
- Accident reconstruction expert reports
When Should You Accept the Insurer’s Settlement Offer
It depends. When you work with our experienced car accident lawyers, we can help you identify fair settlement offers based on numerous factors, including the severity of your injuries, liability for the accident, and the potential costs and risks of going to trial. Once you thoroughly understand the extent of your losses, we can negotiate with the insurance company in earnest.
Can You Appeal Insurance Claims in Maryland?
If the insurance company denies your car accident claim or offers a lowball settlement, you can challenge their initial determination. Insurers should offer internal appeal processes, which could involve having an insurance adjuster consider additional information, having a new adjuster review your claim with fresh eyes, or taking your claim to arbitration.
Sometimes, your best option could be filing a lawsuit against the at-fault driver and their insurer. Our knowledgeable Maryland injury lawyers can help you evaluate your legal options and pursue maximum compensation from all possible sources.
Call Our Maryland Car Accident Lawyers Today
If you have been in a car crash in Maryland, contact Cohen & Dwin, P.A., for a free, no-obligation consultation. Our experienced Maryland car accident lawyers will explain how to report a claim and pursue a car accident settlement that provides you with the compensation you deserve.
Attorney Harold P. Dwin, co-founder of Baltimore premier law firm Cohen & Dwin, P.A., is proud to be able to help clients in need by simplifying complex legal matters and solving legal problems that cause immeasurable stress.