Steps to Follow if You’re Stopped for DUI or DWI in Maryland
By Cohen & Dwin, P.A. on January 23, 2019 | In Accidents
In Maryland, drivers who are stopped for suspicion of drunk driving may be charged with driving under the influence (DUI) or driving while intoxicated (DWI), depending on your blood-alcohol concentration. Both are severe offenses with potentially life-changing consequences, and knowing what to do in the event that you’re pulled over can help ensure that your rights are protected.
If you or a loved one is arrested for suspicion of DWI or DUI, the Baltimore criminal defense attorneys at Cohen & Dwin, P.A., are here to help you understand your options and safeguard your best interests. Please call our lawyers at 800-692-2500 to arrange your personal consultation.
Following are some important tips to keep in mind if you’re stopped for suspected drunk driving in Maryland:
- Do not attempt to flee; pull over as soon as possible at a safe location, signaling your vehicle’s move. Stop completely and place your hands atop the steering wheel until advised otherwise by the officer.
- Be courteous with the officer. Politely and honestly answer his or her questions as they relate to your identity and your vehicle.
- Exercise your right to remain silent. While you should provide law enforcement with your driver’s license, insurance documentation and vehicle registration as requested, you should not admit guilt or answer incriminating questions aside from those regarding your identity. You shouldn’t lie to an officer, but you may refuse to answer any additional questions unless you are charged and have spoken to a lawyer.
- Do not consent to field sobriety tests. While Maryland has an implied consent law that requires you to submit to a blood or chemical test if law enforcement establish reasonable cause to believe you are driving under the influence, you may refuse to take a roadside breathalyzer or field sobriety test.
- Contact our experienced criminal defense attorneys as soon as possible. Our lawyers can help you understand your options and protect your interests if you’re facing DWI or DUI charges.
If you or a family member has been charged with DUI or DWI in the greater Baltimore area, please contact Cohen & Dwin today. With offices in Baltimore, Bel Air, Greenbelt, Baltimore City, Columbia, Glen Burnie and Ocean City, we have a knowledgeable lawyer near you when you need help most.