Peace Orders and Protection Orders, What's the Difference?

By Harold Dwin on January 23, 2019 | In Criminal Law

Peace Orders and Protection Orders, What’s the Difference?

If you feel a threat of domestic violence, the Maryland court system can help by issuing a peace order or protective order.

The difference between the two depends on your relationship to the person that is threatening you.

If any of the following apply, you will apply for a protection order:

  • The other person is a current or former spouse
  • You lived in an intimate relationship with the other person for at least 90 days in the last year
  • You are related to the other person by adoption, marriage, or blood
  • You have a child with the other person

You can also file for a protective order for a minor child or vulnerable adult if you have these relationships with the dangerous individual or if you live in the same house with the minor child or vulnerable adult. To receive a peace order or protective order, you have to show justification for the order by proving that the other person caused you bodily harm, caused fear of bodily harm, assaulted you in any degree, sexually assaulted you, attempted to sexually assault you, or held you against your will. Peace orders can also be filed against harassers, stalkers, trespassers, or people who have maliciously destroyed your property. If you need help applying for a protective order, a domestic attorney can help you navigate Maryland’s requirements for application. Please contact Cohen & Dwin, PA today for a consultation.

Attorney Harold Dwin

Attorney Harold P. Dwin, co-founder of Baltimore premier law firm Cohen & Dwin, P.A., is proud to be able to help clients in need by simplifying complex legal matters and solving legal problems that cause immeasurable stress.