Steps to Take After a Golf Cart Injury
By Cohen & Dwin, P.A. on August 9, 2022 | In Personal Injury
Were you injured in a golf cart accident in Owings Mills, Maryland? Injury accidents involving golf carts happen more often than you might think. People who’ve been hurt are often forced to deal with treatment, costly medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering, and other losses. That’s why it’s crucial to know what steps to take to protect your rights if you’re involved in a golf cart accident.
Injuries at Golf Courses Near Owings Mills, MD
Whether playing at a private or public course, golf is a popular pastime in Owings Mills and surrounding areas of Maryland. Golf cart accidents can happen wherever the vehicles are in use – even in locations other than golf courses.
Perhaps you were injured in an accident due to someone else’s carelessness or recklessness behind the wheel. Or your golf cart could have been defective in some way. Maybe the cart path had a hazard that was not addressed or was missing a warning sign. Whatever the cause of your Owings Mills golf cart accident, be sure to contact an experienced attorney to discuss your situation as soon as you can.
Why Golf Carts Can Be Unsafe
Golf carts are typically either gas or electric-powered and usually have a top speed of 12 to 14 miles per hour if they haven’t been upgraded or modified. While these are relatively low speeds, these vehicles often lack safety features like seat belts, airbags, and sturdy frames designed to protect occupants in the event of a crash.
Golf carts are also lightweight, made of flimsier materials than most motor vehicles, and aren’t usually outfitted with mirrors or lights.
When you add alcohol to the equation, golf carts become even more dangerous. Golfers sometimes drink alcohol while golfing and operating or riding in golf carts. Consuming alcohol while driving can cause poor concentration and impairment, leading to accidents.
Common Causes of Golf Cart Injuries in Maryland
Some of the most common causes of golf cart-related injuries in Maryland include:
- Drinking alcohol and operating the vehicle
- Driving too fast down steep or uneven terrain
- Driving through wooded areas
- Hitting another cart
- Reckless driving
Golf cart injuries are more common than you might think. In fact, according to findings published in a recent study by the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, 156,040 people were treated in emergency rooms for golf cart injuries over a recent 10-year period, according to data compiled by the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System.
What You Should Do If Hurt by a Golf Cart
If a golf cart accident injures you, the following are wise initial steps:
- Seek medical attention. Have a medical professional evaluate you as soon as possible after the accident. It is essential for your health since you may have sustained injuries you aren’t yet aware of. It is also critical to any insurance claim you plan to file.
- Call 911. Request emergency services if necessary. If the police do not respond to the accident scene, make a formal report to golf course management.
- Gather evidence. Secure evidence at the scene by taking photos, speaking to eyewitnesses and getting their contact details, and jotting down your recollections of the accident as soon as possible.
- Contact a knowledgeable golf cart accident attorney to learn about your legal rights and get started on your claim.
Contact Our Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers at Cohen & Dwin Today
Did someone’s negligence cause a golf cart accident that injured you? If so, contact an Owings Mills golf cart accident lawyer at Cohen & Dwin, P.A., today for a free consultation. Our Maryland personal injury attorneys have been proud to serve our community since 1977. We’re ready to stand up and fight for you.
Cohen & Dwin, P.A. is a law firm in Owings Mills, Maryland. Our attorneys are experienced in handling cases related to personal injury, car accidents, truck accidents, criminal law, DWI, work injury, and more. Our firm assists clients in Owings Mills and surrounding areas. Contact us today for a free no-risk consultation.